Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Any New NDMP Features in NBU 3.4?

2001-02-15 11:01:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Any New NDMP Features in NBU 3.4?
From: Stephen Dvorak sdvorak AT veritas DOT com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:01:44 -0800
Dennis,
NBU 3.4 has the ability to do NDMP proxy.  This would mean you could backup
a different filer from the one you are on, and restore the data to another
filer as well.  However, you cannot restore your NDMP data to a non NDMP
system (i.e. from your filer to an NT box).  NetApp is essentially using a
proprietary format when it writes data (a form of dump).  This means that
the data that is backed up with the filer must be restored with a filer (you
cannot take the take to a regular NBU media server and restore the data
using standard NBU tools).

Steve Dvorak
Senior Systems Engineer
VERITAS Software Corp.                  Phone: (602) 474-4510
2575 E. Camelback Road, Ste 740         Fax: (602) 474-4599
Phoenix, AZ 85016                       Pager: (888) 264-7325
mailto:sdvorak AT veritas DOT com               http://www.veritas.com