Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 'Staging' backups onto disk...

2001-02-14 22:07:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 'Staging' backups onto disk...
From: Duane Schultz duane AT connect.com DOT au
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:07:11 +1100
We're currently working on a datacenter project to manage customer
backups, and because of the variety in speeds and throughputs and the
number of servers that we will be backing up, it would be nice to be
able to stage backups straight to disk, moving them off to tape as
available 'scratch' space is required.

We have a medium sized Netbackup 3.4 infrastructure at the moment, and
would prefer to stay with it.

I realise that we could setup disk based storage units under netbackup,
and layer some sort of HSM on top, but I'm not confident how cleanly
that would integrate, or how manageable it would be in the long term.

Has anyone done something like this ? Is there a netbackup extension to
handle it ? Are we way off track ?

(For what it's worth, we're Sun Solaris/Sparc based, using ATL backup
hardware and a mixture of Sun and NetApp storage. Any hardware solution
would be fcal/san based)

--
| Duane Schultz                               System Manager |
| duane AT connect.com DOT au                connect.com.au pty ltd |