Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Tape expiry and reuse

2001-02-13 11:02:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Tape expiry and reuse
From: Jason Ahrens ahrensj AT psi DOT ca
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:02:51 -0500
We have a new NetBackup installation here. I have begun using a monthly
rotating daily backup scheme. Yesterday night we came across the first of the
'reuse' of the tapes. NetBackup only wrote ~100MB to the tape and stoped,
asking for a new tape.

The tape is not marked as full, and in fact, attempts to free it with before
hand with bpexpdate report that 'requested media id was not found in NB media
database and/or MM volume database'. Looking through the volume detail
report, there is no expiry date listed on any of the tapes we have used to
date. The report for the tape in question looks like:
media ID:              W3D1-A
media type:            8MM cartridge tape (4)
barcode:               --------
volume pool:           OttawaIS (2)
robot type:            NONE - Not Robotic (0)
volume group:          ---
created:               Mon Jan 15 12:09:33 2001
assigned:              Mon Feb 12 23:00:50 2001
last mounted:          Mon Feb 12 23:01:00 2001
first mount:           Mon Jan 15 17:33:04 2001
expiration date:       ---
number of mounts:      5
max mounts allowed:    ---
status:                0x0
The media list report says:
 id     rl  images   allocated      last updated     den     kbytes  restores
           vimages   expiration     last read        <------- STATUS ------->
W3D1-A   2      2   02/12/01 23:00:  02/12/01 23:00:     8mm     97407       0
              MPX   03/10/01 23:02:      N/A

and the Device Manager is reporting it requires a new tape. The drive is a
standalone drive.

The way I understand it, the tape W3D1-A should expire and the whole tape
should be available for reuse by NetBackup, however in practice, this does
not seem to be the case.

Any help in determining what is the issue is greatly appreciated. I have
tried everything to date that would seem to 'make sense' but none have turned
out to be the case.

Thanks

Jason
--