Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can I stop bprd while backups are running?

2001-02-08 16:34:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can I stop bprd while backups are running?
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT backupcentral DOT com
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 13:34:35 -0800
This question pertains to the database backup script that I'm almost done
with.  (It supports the 'my database is too big for a tape' workaround, and
consists of five main steps:

1. Wait until there are no queued or active jobs
2. Backup a class that backs up all of /usr/openv
3. Stop bprd
4. Run bpbackupdb
5. Start bprd

What I'd like to do is this:

1. Wait until there are no queued or active jobs
2. Run the class that backs up all of /usr/openv (without the -w switch)
3. Use bpdbjobs to verify the class is active
4. Stop bprd
5. Use bpdbjobs to verify that no other jobs went active.  If they did,
I'll start all over.
    (The running of the class is mainly meant to back up the indexes OTHER
     than the master server's index.  This class will modify the master
server's
     index and the media index, but they will be backed up by bpbackupdb.
     However, by stopping any OTHER classes from running, we can ensure
     that the OTHER indexes (/usr/openv/netbackupd/db/images/*) are
     stable while we are backing them up.)
6. Use bpdbjobs to determine when the class is done
7. Run bpbackupdb
8. Start bprd

Does anyone see any problems with this plan?  I've actually tested this,
and backups that are already active seem to continue on, but