Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] windows vs. UNIX master

2001-02-05 14:07:48
Subject: [Veritas-bu] windows vs. UNIX master
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:07:48 -0800 (PST)
Josh:

Inasmuch as I love the CLI to do everything, when it
comes to NT and Netbackup, I think it best to use
the 'wi, wiz...wizards' (there I said it) to configure
your library for you, then use the CLI if needed for
any finesse changes that need to occur.

I don't like the complexity of tpconfig on the NT side
of the house.

Just my 2 cents.

David

Quoting Josh Evans <josh_evans_111 AT hotmail DOT com>:

> So,
>
> With NT masters, are the same CLI available (ie, will
I use tpconfig
> to configure my robot)?
>
> thank you,
> Josh
>

> >From: "McMurphy, Tim" <Tim.McMurphy AT cdcgy DOT com>
> >To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> >Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] windows vs. UNIX master
> >Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:29:23 -0700
> >
> >Personally I would go with Unix for master and
slaves. Especially if you
> >are
> >backing up Netware 4.11 clients (see below).
> >
> >1) We started with Netbackup 3.11 and were
getting "socket read errors"
> >when
> >we backed up large Netware servers to the WinNT
slave. The job would abort
> >and start over. After contacting Veritas tech
support we isolated the
> >problem to the TCP/IP stack on the WinNT slave.
Veritas told us the name
> of
> >the file we needed to get but that we had to get it
from Microsoft. This
> >was
> >before service pack 3 so I called Microsoft with our
MSDN support and lied
> >about this being on a non-production server
(otherwise they won't give it
> >you!). Once this hot fix was applied all was well.
Service pack 3 fixed
> >this
> >problem with Microsoft's TCP/IP stack.
> >
> >2) When doing large restores from the WinNT slave to
the Netware servers
> we
> >would get "socket write errors". Sound familiar? Yet
another problem with
> >WinNT's TCP/IP stack! As of service pack 6 this
still has not been fixed.
> >The workaround that the engineers found for us was
to use one of the
> >Solaris
> >slaves to restore to the Netware server. We have
restored up to 30 gig in
> 9
> >hours without a problem this way whereas we would
not get more that 1 gig
> >restored before failing when using the WinNT slave.
Luckily we had other
> >Unix slaves!

master servers, but none
> >on
> >
> >NT.  Is there anyone out there that has done both?
If so, how do they
> >compare?  Is UNIX far and away preferable?  How
about if the NT master is
> >backing up a heterogenious environment (UNIX & NT)?
> >
> >thank you,
> >Josh

bu
bu