Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] BPCD.NLM Causing Novell Servers to Abend

2001-01-23 13:07:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] BPCD.NLM Causing Novell Servers to Abend
From: RYAN ANDERSON RYAN_ANDERSON AT udlp DOT com
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:07:38 -0600
I've found that the non-target NetWare configuration to be less stable
than the target version.  Non-target requires an additional NLM, bpsrv;
and the NetBackup NLMs have proven to be unstable, so the less the
better.  We've had production NetWare servers go down just by using the
NetBackup Windows GUI for NetWare to change the password.  In addition,
using the target configuration uses Novell's way to access the data and
is faster.  Plus there's some extra features you can't use in the
non-target, particularly the ability to use Multiple Streams and exclude
lists (or 'selection list entries').  Plus I've been able to backup and
restore NDS/eDirectory (on 5.x) with the target version, but not
non-target (although I could with 4.11).  On a side note, I can only
restore NDS objects using the 'bp' menu interface on NetWare, the Master
Server's xbp won't let me do it...  I'm slowly moving mine over to
target now.

In reality, Backup Exec is a much better product for NetWare.  But given
the circumstance, NetBackup works with it.  Kludgey, but it works.

Ryan

--
Ryan C. Anderson        |   United Defense L.P.
Unix Administrator      |   763.572.6684 (desk)