Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reconciling Existing Images With a New RetentionPeriod

2001-01-22 15:13:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reconciling Existing Images With a New RetentionPeriod
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:13:41 -0500
Ravi,

Thanks for the information. Perhaps you could clarify something for me. When I
issue the bpimmedia command for a CLASS and a SCHEDULE I receive an IMAGE line
with information as well as one or more FRAG lines. All these lines contain
dates but I'm assuming your reference is to the FRAG lines because the field
numbers you mentioned (9 & 13) seem to work out on that one. My concern is that
the date represented in field 17 (it may be 18) on the FRAG line tends to be
well past the date represented in field 13. Is there any documentation
available for these fields? I find that the command itself is also
undocumented. I am running NBU 3.2 by the way. I gotta be sure I get this right
so I don't expire something that shouldn't be expired. I also have an issue
with multiple images on a single tape that may not all expire at the same time
so I might want to expire the images rather the media (if that's possible).
Granted, they are all the same retention period (6 weeks) but some images may
be newer than others and were appended to that tape because it was the correct
retention period and had space available.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> Ravi Channavajhala <ravi.channavajhala AT csfb DOT com> 01/22/01 11:50AM >>>
Dennis,

Easiest way is to write a script to do this, identify the media ids
by using

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimmedia -class <WEEKLY_FULL>
and look for the expires column.

The field 13, is the expiration date and the field 9 is the tape ID,
I think.

Then run the list of identified media IDs thru bpexpdate -ev <media_id>
-d 0.

-ravi