Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Why I hate NDMP

2001-01-17 11:17:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Why I hate NDMP
From: Pearson, Kim (STP) kim.pearson AT guidant DOT com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:17:24 -0600
We actually have 2 NAS 760 filers - 1 for the UNIX team, 1 for NT. The UNIX
team backs up the NAS using NFS mounts over the network (NetBackup). That is
not painful. We get nice, indexed backups, can slice them up according to
NFS mounts, and get great performance - 20 GB/hour or 5-6 MB/second per
drive. We are using Gb ethernet, so that's something to consider. We are
able to split up the fulls, and do them throughout the month. This makes our
backup windows acceptable, and restores much faster.

The NT group's NAS has two DLT's directly attached, and uses NDMP/NetBackup
to do the backups. Problems:

        1) The RESTORES are horrendous - no indexes, so the entire backup is
"scanned" for the requested files/directories.
        2) Can't share the DLT's with non-NDMP boxes, so they sit idle a lot
of the time.
        3) Differential Incremental (daily) backups are HUGE - NDMP doesn't
look at the Archive bit, but rather "last accessed time". We back up
approximately 20% every night as a result. Should be closer to 1-2%.
        4) Proprietary tape format - not "generic" like tar or NT tape
format. Need NDMP to restore - not good for DRP.
        5) Direct attached tapes do not keep up with our UNIX "networked"
speeds! Explain that one! They get about 17 GB/hour vs. our 20+ GB/hour.

So...that's why I hate NDMP, and in fact NAS. However, $ for $, NAS is hard
to beat for file storage, which is why they are becoming so popular.

Kim