Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Welcome to the "Veritas-bu" mailing list

2001-01-15 16:17:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Welcome to the "Veritas-bu" mailing list
From: Jonathan Geibel Jonathan.Geibel AT disney DOT com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:17:34 -0800
Colin,

This is due to your drives writing fixed-length rather than
variable-length.  Whenever you get to the end of a tape, it tries to write
the full block size, which you probably have set to >32k..  this will fail
if the drive is set to fixed-length as it tries to write more data than
the tape has available.  Variable-length writes will allow it to just
write the amount that is left on the tape.

You can either change the block size that you are writing to tape or
change your driver to write variable-length.

If this is a Solaris box that you are running you can change this in your
/kernel/drv/st.conf file.  Do a "man st" and search for ST_VARIABLE or
something to that effect to see how to change it.

this is different on every OS, though..