Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?

2001-01-12 03:27:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:27:07 -0800
At 10:02 AM 12/20/00 -0700, Rob Worman wrote:
>It is not a question of creating a new class for that full backup but to
>do a full backup and not touch the achive bit, becose the next day the
>régular scedule gone a run a incremental differentiel.

Exactly why NT is an evil operating system. ;)

This is why I think this feature should be disabled.  To do so, just set
the following attribute in the registry (The default is "YES"):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config]
"Use_Archive_Bit"="NO"

Using the Archive Bit is just asking for trouble.  Someone can run NTBackup
to some tape drive or network mounted disk, and that will reset the archive
bit.  Then NBU comes along and thinks its been backed up.

DON'T USE THE ARCHIVE BIT.

---
W. Curtis Preston, Principal Consultant at Collective Technologies
Email: curtis AT colltech DOT com                (Best way to contact me)
Work : 408 452 5555                       (Leave a message.)
Pager: 800 946 4646, pin#1436065        (If urgent.)

Tap into the Collective Intellect (TM): http://www.colltech.com
Backup & Restore resources:        http://www.backupcentral.com