Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cleaning Tapes

2001-01-11 11:13:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cleaning Tapes
From: Dennis Dwyer dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:13:00 -0500
When you enter a Cleaning Tape into a library via NetBackup you have to tell it
how many cleanings the tape is good for. A new tape is good for 20 cleanings
and when that number is exhausted, it will not be mounted again. You do not, as
far as I can tell, get notified. The only way I know my tapes are used up is
via the media manager reports against media type (DLT Cleaning). If the
"Cleanings Left" field is zero, out it comes. If anyone knows of a better, more
automated way, I'm interested.

Regards,
Dennis

Quote: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it right

Dennis F. Dwyer
Enterprise Storage Manager
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

>>> "McEntee, Damian" <Damian.McEntee AT bskyb DOT com> 01/11/01 09:11AM >>>
Hello,

could anyone tell me if we alerted to the fact that a cleaning tape has come
to the end of it's life cycle or if we have to manually eject the tape after
a certain period of time.

Thanks on advance.

Information in this email is confidential and may be privileged.
It is intended for the addressee only. If you have received it in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.
You should not otherwise copy it, retransmit it or use or disclose its
contents to anyone.
Thank you for your co-operation.