Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ACSLS 5.3.2 and NBU 3.2

2000-12-28 10:39:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ACSLS 5.3.2 and NBU 3.2
From: Zufall, Ken KZufall AT officemax DOT com
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:39:33 -0500
We're currently trying to implement an ACSLS controlled robot and having
some difficulties.  Not certain if it's a problem with our current
environment, or something I'm missing within NBU, any help would be
appreciated.

Current Environment:  NBU 3.2 Master and Media Manager on a Sun 450 running
Solaris 2.6.  Currently has SCSI connection for robotic control of 2 STK
9740 units.  The drives for these units are attached to a 6500 (also Solaris
2.6) which acts as our Media Server.  We have two additional 9740 units
connected via passthrough with a second 6500 acting as Media Server.  ACSLS
is installed on an Ultra 10 (2.6).

The Problem:  From the ACSLS host, everything is working fine.  We can
inventory the robots, move tapes within and between the units, all ACSLS
commands function fine.  However, we cannot get the Master/Media Manager to
see the ACSLS host.  My understanding is that once we configure the ACS
robot, when we bounce the NBU daemons, the appropriate ACS daemons should
start automatically.  I've also tried starting the ACS daemons manually, but
that hasn't helped either, the Master is still unable to communicate with
the ACSLS host.  All the appropriate entries are in the /etc/hosts file,
ping and telnet works fine.

Also, while the Master is unable to see the ACS robot/host, I have been able
to configure it on the second media server, the one which will be
controlling the drives for the ACS robot.  I can inventory the robot, move
tapes around, etc.  Of course, this configuration doesn't work for us,
because if the Master can't see the robot, then it can't be used for backups
/ restores.

Ken Zufall
Technical Analyst
Phone: 216.471.3613
Fax: 216.491.4051

"It's not the most intellectual job, but I do have to know all the letters."
Vanna White