Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?

2000-12-20 11:31:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without changing the archive bit?
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:31:34 -0800 (PST)
I'm afraid my response was a bit confusing...Rob is
correct and is taking you down the right track.

I guess I shouldn't be replying to two separate NBU
questions at the same time...prozac anyone?

david

Quoting Rob Worman <rob AT colltech DOT com>:

> It is not a question of creating a new class for that
full backup but to do
> a full backup and not touch the achive bit, becose
the next day the régular
> scedule gone a run a incremental differentiel.
>
> I want the  incremental differentiel to be from the
last regular scedule
> full backup and not from my special end of year
backup.

> ...and that is exactly what happens if your special
end of year backup
> occurred as part of a separate class than the class
that runs the regular
> scheduled backups.
>
> I think a more detailed example scenario might help:
>
> =======
> Consider a machine named "BoxA", which is defined as
a client in both
> "Class1" and "Class2" NetBackup class
configurations.  Both Class1 and
> Class2 happen to have an identical file list defined.
>
> Class1 and Class2 each run a full backup of BoxA on
Monday.

> Class1 and Class2 each run an incremental backup of
BoxA on Tuesday.

> Class2 runs a full backup of BoxA on Wednesday,
Class1 doesn't run at all
> on Wednesday.
>
> On Thursday, an Class1 runs an incremental backup of
BoxA.  What set of
> changed data will it back up?
>
>     (A) data modified since Monday's Class1 full
backup
>     (B) data modified since Wednesday's Class2 full
backup
> ======
>
> The answer is "A".  The decision of "does this file
need to be backed up by
> an incremental backup" includes a reliance on class
name.

> So the use of a separate class to do your yearly full
would have no effect
> on the differential incrementals run by the normal
class.

> It's incorrect to think of NetBackup file selection
as a matter of the
> files' "archive bit".  Since NetBackup's roots are
Unix-y, where there is
> no such thing as an archive bit, file selection is
maintained based on
> examiniation of file modification times.
>
> HTH
> rob
>
> No,

[<mailto:rob AT colltech DOT com>mailto:rob AT colltech DOT com]
> Date: 20 décembre, 2000 10:45
> À: Richard, Alain
> Cc: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Objet: Re: [Veritas-bu] how to do full backup without
changing the
> achieve b it ?
>

> So your boxes might all be scheduled for their normal
full backups on
> January 2nd, and you want to run a full backup on
December 31st that will
> not change the scheduling of that January 2nd backup?
>
> I'd suggest you create a new class for this purpose.
(Netbackup full and
> incremental comparisons for a particular client are
tied to the classname)

> HTH
> rob
>
> I everyone,
>
> I have to do a full backup at the end of the year.
But i don't want to
> affect the regular backup. Is this a command or a
command line in netbackup
> 3.4 to do a full backup of all my server and didn't
change the achive bit?