Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Reading a tape manually through NDMP

2000-12-19 11:16:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Reading a tape manually through NDMP
From: Chris Graves cmg AT bow.rsc.raytheon DOT com
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:16:44 -0800 (PST)
Steve,

We have essentially the same setup and have read backup tapes created
on the NetApp using NDMP manually using the following two methods:

1) Veritas via NDMP just uses the NetApp "dump" command to creat the
backups.  This format is compatible with ufsdump, thus the tape can be
read on a Solaris system using ufsrestore (though some information may
be lost if using NT ACL's).

2) the following is cut and paste from my notes. empress is the Sun
where Veritas is installed and odin is the NetApp...

to restore files on odin without the aid of netbackup:

from empress, have a tape mounted:
tpreq -ev def100 -p odin-vol0-full /tmp/tp

now do look at /tmp/tp to find out what tape drive has the tape
cat /tmp/tp
odin /ndmp/nrst0a

from odin, we can manipulate the tape using mt:
mt -f nrst0a status

cd to the directory where you want files restored to

to list dumpfile contents:
restore tf nrst0a

to restore the files:
restore xf nrst0a ./dir/path