Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiple Client names is it possible?

2000-12-15 09:22:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiple Client names is it possible?
From: Gustavo Chaves gustavo AT cpqd.com DOT br
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:22:28 -0200

  Bazinet> I have a situation where we have a clustered application
  Bazinet> that resides on nodeA, but will failover to nodeB.  In the
  Bazinet> class for the backup it uses the name of nodeA as the
  Bazinet> client, but should really use the name of the
  Bazinet> application/package called appA, whose IP is different then
  Bazinet> nodeA.

  Bazinet> Can I have multiple CLIENT_NAME entries in my bp.conf for
  Bazinet> my applications that are clustered, or does it matter?  Can
  Bazinet> just use appA as the client name in the class, but the
  Bazinet> CLIENT_NAME in the bp.conf file on the host may be
  Bazinet> different?

I have a cluster of NT2000 machines.  The CLIENT_NAME in their local
configuration mentions only the nodeX names, not the appX names.

The classes that backup the disks used by the cluster services mention
the names appA and appB for the reason you gave, viz. the possibility
of failovers.

However, the backups started from the client (bpbackup) are recognized
by the NBU server as coming from the nodeA or nodeB machines because
the names are looked up from the IP address of the peer at the other
side of the TCP connection, and normally (always?) the IP is of the
nodeX kind.  Because of this I had to create a class with only User
Default type of schedules in which I registered the nodeA and nodeB
clients.

Hope it helps.

Gustavo.