Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] How to reach SUSPENDED state? NBU3.2

2000-12-14 13:21:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] How to reach SUSPENDED state? NBU3.2
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 12:21:15 -0600
Hello

It's supposed to FREEZE the tape since a frozen tape will stay frozen until you
manually unfreeze it whereas a suspended tape will become available for general
use automatically once all the images on it has expired.  My site seems to
freeze tapes if there are more than three errors within a 12 hour period.
Indeed tape drives seem to have far too many errors in general.

I believe that you can manually freeze the tape with the command:

     bpmedia -freeze -ev media_id

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer
Steverson Information Professionals

---
Enron Broadband Services
3 Allen Center 3AC872e
ph (713) 345-6863

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          Zsolt.Habony@hunga|
|        |          ry.sun.com        |
|        |                            |
|        |          12/14/00 12:10 PM |
|        |          Please respond to |
|        |          Zsolt.Habony      |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

  |       cc:     (bcc: John Wang/Contractor/Enron Communications)        |
  |       Subject:     [Veritas-bu] How to reach SUSPENDED state? NBU3.2  |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi All,

  My cu found that a backup stopped w/ write error, then the second try
of the class started and used the same tape w/ write error again.

  We know that the media is defective,  just wanted to confirm that a defective
media goes to SUSPENDED state,  than disappears from the media db.

  Actually that's not what we can see.  The media doesn't go to SUSPENDED,
so it is used for the next try,  and still not SUSPENDED.

  The result is that an unattended backup can fail beacuse of a single media
error.  Netbackup tries to write it as many times as the retry value,  it
doesn't realize that the media is defective.

Any comments appreciated,
/Zsolt