Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "Backup Policy" schedule in Oracle classes

2000-12-12 08:33:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "Backup Policy" schedule in Oracle classes
From: Scott Kendall Scott.Kendall AT ln.ssw.abbott DOT com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 07:33:13 -0600
Sorry, but I accidentally mailed this to "veritas-bu-admin" instead of
"veritas-bu@mailman...".

If everyone gets this twice, I apologize.

Scott

----- Forwarded by Scott A Kendall/LAKE/HPD/ABBOTT on 12/12/2000 07:26 AM
-----

 Scott A Kendall
 12/12/2000 07:18 AM

   To: acanady AT yahoo DOT com
   cc: veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU

We are just starting to use NetBackup 3.4's Oracle agent with RMAN and Oracle
8.1.6.  So far everything appears to be OK.  If anyone has anything to be
aware of, please let me know.

As far as your questions, the 3.4 manual specifically states that the
retention for the Backup Policy is what retains the image in the NetBackup
catalog.  A window for the Default Policy is required to do a backup, whether
initiated from NetBackup's scheduler or otherwise.  Automatic schedules are
only used to initiate the job from within NetBackup.  The retention for
automatic schedules determines the amount of time that it keeps a record of
the scheduled job to compare it to the frequency to determine if another
scheduled job is due.  In other words, have a retention that is set longer
than the schedule, otherwise, NetBackup will "forget" when it last ran the
job and will run the scheduled job whether or not it has reached the full
frequency.

If the client is being backed up in one class then everything is using the
same retention, however, if you do this and rely on NetBackup to
automatically "clean up" it's catalog, you still have to "clean up" the RMAN
catalog.  An alternative is to set the class to the longest retention you
will want for that client.  Then run RMAN maintenance commands to expire
images from within the RMAN catalog.  RMAN can then send a request to
NetBackup to delete the corresponding images from the NetBackup catalog,
regardless of the retention level.

As I mentioned above, we are just starting to play with this.  If anyone has
anything to add or any comments about the above method, please give us both
your comments or suggestions.

Thanks,

Scott Kendall
Hospital Products Division
Abbott Laboratories

 acanady AT yahoo DOT com
 Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT Eng.Auburn DOT EDU
 12/11/2000 09:34 AM