Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "Backup Policy" schedule in Oracle classes

2000-12-11 10:28:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "Backup Policy" schedule in Oracle classes
From: alex canady acanady AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:28:00 -0800 (PST)
Greetings:

I have a question about retention with the netbackup
extentions for oracle.  I'm running NB 3.2 on Sol 2.6
and Oracle 8.0.5 with oracle extensions.

NB is not using the ret. specified in my oracle
schedules but is instead using the ret. for "backup
policy" schedule in the class.  The manual only says
this "backup policy" schedule must exist for "special
types of user directed backups" but it seems that all
scheduled backups in an oracle class create "backup
policy" jobs to do the actual backup.

Q) Does this mean that you can only have one level of
ret. in an oracle class (specified in backup policy
schedule) and that the ret. specified in the other
schedules are ignored?

Q) Does anyone know why the book specifies you set the
ret. of backup policy schedule to 2 times that
required to keep a full backup?  Shouldn't this really
be set to whatever we need our retention to be to meet
our requirements?

Q) I'm planning to upgrade to NB 3.4 to support Oracle
8.1.7 (Veritas has told me it will support this).  Has
anyone encountered any problems with this upgrade ?

Thanks.

Regards,

Alex