Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup

2000-12-07 15:16:35
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup
From: Rasana Atreya rasana_atreya AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 12:16:35 -0800
>Well first you have been mis-informed on the NetBackup
>database backup process.  it does *NOT* append to the
>tape when it backs up the netbackup databases with
>bpbackupdb, but rather overwrites the tape each time.
>This is true for disk as well, it will not *APPEND* to
>the backup but overwrite.
>
>It is expected to see your NBU DB *breath* a little as
>images expire and new ones are added.  If you are
>running into a disk sizing issue you can look at the
>global attributes to see what your DELAY TO COMPRESS
>parameter is set to. By default (0) it does not
>compress the database.

I appreciate the clarification.

This was my understanding also. I've already changed the DELAY TO COMPRESS
parameter. I was just thrown by the fact that over the last
8 months or so, this is the third tape I'm using. I was
unable to figure out why. The manuals don't seem to deal with this.

Regards,
Rasana