Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup

2000-12-07 14:50:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mechanics of NB DB backup
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:50:58 -0800 (PST)
Well first you have been mis-informed on the NetBackup
database backup process.  it does *NOT* append to the
tape when it backs up the netbackup databases with
bpbackupdb, but rather overwrites the tape each time.
This is true for disk as well, it will not *APPEND* to
the backup but overwrite.

It is expected to see your NBU DB *breath* a little as
images expire and new ones are added.  If you are
running into a disk sizing issue you can look at the
global attributes to see what your DELAY TO COMPRESS
parameter is set to. By default (0) it does not
compress the database.

David

Quoting Rasana Atreya <rasana_atreya AT hotmail DOT com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have Netbackup 3.2 on a Solaris 2.5.1 master (no
slave). I use two media
> for alternately backing up my Netbackup database:
>
> - Tape on a directly connected DLT4700 stacker
> - 16 gig disk on the master server
>
> On tapes I know that the database gets appended. This
means that when the
> tape fills up you can just replace it. Does the same
thing happen on a
> disk?
> The reason I ask is that currently the disk used to
back up
> the database is at 69% percent, but it keeps
increasing/decreasing
> (fluctuating) in size.
>
> The first time the disk filled up to 89% of it's
capacity, I figured that
> since I just needed the latest version of the
database, I could unassign
> the
> disk, force an immediate backup of the database to
tape, newfs the disk and

> then reassign it. Didn't quite work as I expected
(append behaviour). When
> the next backup occured, the disk was again at 89%.
>
> What I'd really like is that I have the latest copy
on either the disk or
> the tape. I don't mind overwriting the disk.
>
> The manuals do not seem to address this issue. Or am
I missing something