Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Capacity Planning

2000-12-05 20:55:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Capacity Planning
From: Buddy Lumpkin BLumpkin AT echarge DOT com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:55:22 -0800
Hello All,

I am trying to get a good feel of how Netbackup scales. We will be running
an ADIC tape library with two DLT7000's. We will not be running both tape
drives concurrently but may want paralelism in the future. The server is an
E250. We currently only have 21 clients that all run full backups over the
coarse of an evening.

My assumption is this:

Netbackup is not CPU bound but rather IO (Network especially but also SCSI
and disk writing to the databases )

Netbackup *probably* does not need an insane amount of memory (512 - 1gb
will suffice for 1 - 2 concurrent streaming tapes)

Assuming that I am not totally off in my assumptions, when would I start
needing two CPU's and more ram than is mentioned above?

Do I need this much RAM? Is this system overkill?

Im looking for real life experiences and suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

--Buddy