Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: NetBackup for NetWare questions (RYAN C. ANDERSON)

2000-12-05 14:01:31
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: NetBackup for NetWare questions (RYAN C. ANDERSON)
From: egml5 egml5 AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:01:31 -0500
Ryan,

In our environment we are backing up NetWare 4.x and 5.x
Servers to NT Master/Media servers running NetBackup v3.4.

For target backups I am not sure about NLM functions but I
recall that BPSRV.NLM is required for both target and non-target
backups.  I believe that the BPSRV is actually translating between
netbackup and  SMS.  It is my understanding that the NetWare
GUI utility for Non-Target Backups is mainly there to make the
creation of the BP.INI a little easier to manage.  Also, I don't believe
restores will work if you don't have the bpsrv.nlm and bpcd.nlm
loaded.

After testing target/non-target options we decided to go with a
non-target configuration.  We do NOT backup the Server Specific
Info.  We do NOT backup the NDS.  We strictly use netbackup to
do Volume level file system backups.  Simply stated I can only think
of two situations that would require NDS to be restored from tape.
If you only have one NetWare file server that houses your entire NDS.
Or, if you have all of your NetWare Servers housed in one centrally
located office/computer room.  Regardless of the backup software I
think it is generally recommended by NetWare to use NDS replication
to satisfy disaster recovery concerns.

Here's the best document I can recommend.
http://support.novell.com
Novell TID: #2934033  4.x or 5.x Migration/DSMaint Procedure.

In addition we currently would like to be running OTM on these
NetWare  clients but we have run into several problems that have
backed us into a  corner and required that OTM be disabled.  The
biggest problem is that Veritas support has been very difficult to work
with on any NetWare issues but our concerns have mainly dealt with
OTM.

Finally, if you are curious about NetWare performance - We are
finding that although our NetWare clients are running on 100Mbit
switch ports to a 1Gbit fiber port in the media server over an isolated
segment, we still can only push around 2.1-2.4Mbytes/sec.  The
general consensus is that SMS is limiting how much and how fast data
can be moved.  If you are seeing better throughput I would like to hear
your story.

Regards,
egml5 AT hotmail DOT com