Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] return code "1" on backups regarding OTM !!!!

2000-11-28 14:17:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] return code "1" on backups regarding OTM !!!!
From: W. Curtis Preston curtis AT colltech DOT com
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:17:54 -0800
Ayaz.  This is WONDERFUL data.  I've thought a number of times about
turning this into an automated method of making registry changes on all NT
clients.

1. Create the veritas.reg file on the master
2. Create a bpstart_notify.update.bat file on the master.
    It would contain the following commands:

regedit /s c:\temp\veritas.reg
del c:\temp\veritas.reg
del <INSTALL_PATH>\bin\bpstart_notify.update.bat

    (regedit <file> will import that file into the registry.  The
    /s flag tells it to be silent, and not open the dialog box when
    it's done.)

3. Create a class called "update" with all your NT clients in it.
    If this were a UNIX server, you could do this easy by saying:
    cd /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class
    grep 'NT' */clients |cut -d: -f2 >update/clients
    Use the default settings for the class. You could put
    C:\config.sys as the file to be backed up, or some other file
    that you know will be there.  It actually doesn't matter what
    you put
4. Push the veritas.reg file to c:\temp and the bpstart_notify file
    to <INSTALL_PATH>\bin on each NT client.  To do this, you could
    either back it up to disk and restore it to every client.
5. Run the update class

And voila!  You've updated the registry on all your NT clients.

Did I leave anything out? Can you think of any goofs?

We might want to build in a sleep between the regedit and the deletes, but
I don't an NT command to do that.

(I'm thinking about putting this in the FAQ.)