Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "ghost" tapes

2000-11-26 01:59:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "ghost" tapes
From: Miriam Ben-Haim miriam AT techunix.technion.ac DOT il
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:59:45 +0200 (IST)
On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Mike Andres wrote:

>Hi,
>
>      We are currently experiencing a problem with a group of NT media
>servers sharing a STK 9730 library.  The library has 4 DLT7K drives and all
>servers are connected to the library via FC and share the drives using SSO.
>For about a week everything ran fine, but then we started seeing NBU
>reporting the drives loaded with various tapes in the device monitor.  The
>drives would appear to be held by any one of the 5 servers with a vaild tape
>apparently loaded, however, when we look at the drive itself, there is no
>tape loaded and looking back at the logs, the job on the server that NBU
>says has the drive always finishes successfully and the tape is unloaded as
>it should be.  To fix the problem, we try to reset the drive from the device
>monitor, but soon after, NBU reports it loaded.  Resetting the server that
>has the drive sometimes helps, but in a few cases, we had to reset the
>library and the server to clear the reservation.  Has anyone seen anything
>like this?  We are running NBU 3.2 with the 412 patch installed.  All NT's
>are at SP 5.  Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Mike Andres

We had a similar problem on Friday. We have the same NBU version, but
our master server is a Unix and is also the media manager.

Our support person said it's a common problem that was solved in 3.4 .

The way he suggested to solve it (it worked) is:

1. You make sure that the tapes in the robot really don't belong to any
   active job.

2. Run robtest, and do:
        s d     - it shows which tape from which slot is in which drive.
        unload d1       - or whichever drive number.
        m d1 sxxx       - return the tape from that drive to its slot #.
   and so on for all the needed drives.

3. In the device management window - mark that drive, and do reset drive
   on it.

I did this procedure without opening the robot and without terminating
any daemons. I had an active job at the time, which continued as usual.

Hope this helps for you too.

        Miriam

 Miriam Ben-Haim                 E-mail: miriam AT technion.ac DOT il
 Unix Systems                    Phone : +972-4-8292177
 Taub Computer Center            Fax   : +972-4-8236212
 Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, ISRAEL