Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] "ghost" tapes

2000-11-25 13:52:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] "ghost" tapes
From: Mike Andres mike_andres AT cnt DOT com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 12:52:12 -0600
Hi,

      We are currently experiencing a problem with a group of NT media
servers sharing a STK 9730 library.  The library has 4 DLT7K drives and all
servers are connected to the library via FC and share the drives using SSO.
For about a week everything ran fine, but then we started seeing NBU
reporting the drives loaded with various tapes in the device monitor.  The
drives would appear to be held by any one of the 5 servers with a vaild tape
apparently loaded, however, when we look at the drive itself, there is no
tape loaded and looking back at the logs, the job on the server that NBU
says has the drive always finishes successfully and the tape is unloaded as
it should be.  To fix the problem, we try to reset the drive from the device
monitor, but soon after, NBU reports it loaded.  Resetting the server that
has the drive sometimes helps, but in a few cases, we had to reset the
library and the server to clear the reservation.  Has anyone seen anything
like this?  We are running NBU 3.2 with the 412 patch installed.  All NT's
are at SP 5.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Andres