Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Offsite Storage

2000-11-16 09:37:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Offsite Storage
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:37:57 -0600 (CST)
A couple of thoughts for you.

Yes it can be automated and Veritas has a consulting
services product called bpVault which is charged with
the task of dup'ing your images, tracking the media
offsite and managing when those images expire and the
media is available for re-use.

You can script some of this yourself if you are willing
to do so.  The bpduplicate command is documented fairly
well in the SysAdmin guide for Netbackup.  There is
also a sample duplication script in
the /usr/openv/netbackup/goodies directory that you can
review as well.

Some of us on this list (myself included) have written
duplication scripts.  Mine consist of four scripts to
process the duplication jobs and report on offsite
inventory, track image expiration, etc.

Natually depending on what you are trying to accomplish
this task can be quick or quite involved.

I know this doesn't answer your question completely,
but I hope it gets you closer to your solution.

David Chapa

David A. Chapa
Consulting Manager
DataStaff, Inc.
(847) 413 1144

Quoting Randy Wilson <RWilson AT RBMG DOT com>:

>       I am a new Netbackup administrator and I have a
couple of questions
> about tape management. My company has implemented
Netbackup in the Unix and
> NT environment. They have asked me to make sure that
each nights backups
> are
> available to send offsite and that we keep a local
copy for onsite
> restores.
> I do not have the available backup window to run
separate jobs for onsite
> and offsite storage so I am thinking I must use the
tape duplication
> feature. My problem is that duping the many tapes we
have each day is a
> very
> time consuming task, there has to be a better way!
Can anyone steer me in
> the right direction? Is there some way to automate
this task? Is this what