Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] network errors

2000-11-14 16:04:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] network errors
From: erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com erbilgic.ym AT pg DOT com
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:04:11 -0500
---------------------- Forwarded by Yucel Erbilgic-YM/PGI on 11/14/2000 04:04 PM
---------------------------

From: Yucel Erbilgic-YM on 11/14/2000 03:55 PM

To:   Ravi Channavajhala <ravi.channavajhala AT csfb DOT com>
cc:
Subject:  Re: Re: [Veritas-bu] network errors  (Document link: Yucel
      Erbilgic-YM)

Hi Ravi,

I think your problem was due to the way unix communicates back to the client.
Your client can talk to MM on one interface but MM then depending on the load
can choose to answer back from any of its interfaces.  If the MM talks to the
client on an interface that is not in client's bp.conf the client does not
answer, causing a time out.

2 solutions that I can think of at the moment could be available:

On the MM use required_interface command, for your backup backbone (but this
option is will not be usefull if you added this interface to load ballance
backups on both interface rather than seperating the production interface from
the backup, given netbackup will only utilze the interface specified I believe)

Or Your solution, add all the interfaces of te MM on the clients bp.conf.  Then
you can possibly use the required_interface or /etc/hosts file on the clients
side to load ballance your 2 network interfaces.

I hope this sounds about right.

All have a nice week.

Regards,

Yucel M. Erbilgic

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host: dns.eng.auburn.edu
 [131.204.10.13]

Envelope Sender:    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu