Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ERR(196) backs up data?

2000-11-10 10:12:42
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ERR(196) backs up data?
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:12:42 -0600
Two possible reasons.

(1)  The first example shows how far along it got before it hit an error.
Hitting an error on the edge of the backup window will in some cases
generate a 196 error when it attempts to requeue the job.

(2)  You may be seeing the second attempt error message (196) with details
of the entire job submission (number of files attempted)

The other (14)

Depending on what it is you are backing up, it is completely possible to
have prepared those 500 files during the file collection process before the
error hits (bpbkar reports 500 files to bptm on the media server).

for more information on how the daemons interact and other possible
scenarios given your site information, I suggest Appendix A, Functional
Overview in the Troubleshooting Guide.  Actually, I make it mandatory
reading for all of my consultants.  This will help you better understand how
and why certain things happen in  your NBU environment.

David