Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs Tivoli (ADSM)

2000-11-02 15:18:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas Netbackup vs Tivoli (ADSM)
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:18:21 -0600 (CST)
Yes, NetBackup's scheduler is based on a frequency
heirarchy.  So the "most due" schedule will be run.
however, if you have a class list containing a class
for incrm and fulls:

Class_Incrm
  Diff_Schedule - Freq=Daily
Class_Full
  Full_Schedule - Freq=Weekly

the scheduler will *NOT* know the schedules in the
other classes.  So in this case, you would potentially
have an incrm and a full running at the same time.

Alternatively if you have

Class_Servers
 Incrm_Schedule - Freq=Daily
 Full_Schedule - Freq=Weekly

Then the scheduler will look at the schedule that is
most due for a run.

Hope this clears up the scheduler.

David

Quoting Joshua Fielden <jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com>:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 12:39:32PM -0600,
John_Wang AT enron DOT net filled up my
> inbox with:
> >
> > Inability to pre-emptive schedule.   If the
scheduler happens to have an
> > incremental and a full backup scheduled for the
same day, I would like to
> have
> > the incremental automatically pre-empted as
unnecessary since the full
> would
> > cover everything that the incremental would've
anyways.

> This is supposed to work the way you wish. In fact,
the behavior that has
> been told to me by consulting, support, and other
users that it is possible
> to have a full, incremental, and diff running at the
same time, or on the
> same day, is a bug. While at Vision, I spoke to Mark
Winger, who is
> principle developer of the scheduler. He had never
heard of this behavior
> before and is very interested in any documented cases
being opened as a
> support call so this bug can be worked out.
>
> --
> "Any man page that includes the words "USE AT YOUR
OWN RISK. BEWARE OF DOG.

> SLIPPERY WHEN WET" means trouble" - Michael Lucas
> Joshua Fielden, Senior Systems Administrator and
Backups Team Lead