Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's

2000-11-02 13:51:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's
From: Mark Smiles msmiles AT lucent DOT com
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 18:51:43 +0000
--------------C808C7EBC79449512B3EF3C2

Rob,

Have you considered  using processor sets in this setup ?
Regards,
Mark Smiles

Rob Worman wrote:

> At 11:39 AM -0500 11/2/00, Richard, Alain wrote:
> What do you mean about "untuned gigabit interface" what kind of tuning you
> talking ????
>
> >Rob Worman <rob AT colltech DOT com>
> >Turn on 6 of those drives and feed them data from your untuned gigabit
> >interface, and you'll probably be unhappy with what you get...
>
> >Rob
>
> Alain.Richard AT menv.gouv.qc DOT ca
> Systems Admin
>
> When implementing GBE under Solaris 2.6 several months ago, we only saw about
> 300 Mbit performance between gigabit hosts (even without a switch, i.e.
> direct connected).
>
> We were given the following recommendations from SUN:
>
> =====
> 1. use TTCP or netperf, etc to test performance.
>
> http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/performance.xml  (tool overview)
> ftp://ftp.fore.com/pub/utils/  (we got nttcp here)
>
>     do not use FTP, or spray <ouch>.
>     Higher throughput seen with larger message/buffer sizes.
>
> 2. running multiple concurrent TTCP streams may improve results.
>
> 3. install GEM GbE v2.0 patch (ge-driver performance patch).
>    106745-xx, 106764-xx, or 106765-xx.  Get latest for OS.
>
> 4. install GEM PCI cards in 64-bit/66mhz slots!
> 5. use 2, 3, or 4 cpus (faster clockspeeds better, >300 mhz each).
> 6. test on Sol-2.6 or better.  (2.6 HW5/98 MU)
> 7. Check switch firmware level & GbE module with switch vendor(s).
> 8. do NOT tune ndd param tcp_cwnd_max.  Sol-2.6 default is 256k.
> 9. Might set ndd params  tcp_xmit_hiwat & tcp_revc_hiwat = 64k.
>
>     For example, for testing purposes on high-bandwidth cards.
>     Be aware that this will affect all network interfaces.
>        ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_xmit_hiwat = 65536
>        ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_recv_hiwat = 65536
>        ndd -set /dev/udp udp_xmit_hiwat = 65536
>        ndd -set /dev/udp udp_xmit_hiwat = 65536
>
>  10. Might want to ensure you are not routing or ip_forwarding
>      packets in Solaris kernel.  It could hurt performance
>      measurements as kernel forwards between multiple adapters.
>      If you don't disable this, Solaris default is enabled!
>
>      touch /etc/notrouter
>      ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 0
>
>  11. Is the STP spanning-tree protocol disabled on switch port(s)?
>
>      You most likely want STP disabled on Sun host-connected ports.
>      If STP detects a state-change, it may freeze traffic and affect
>      performance and test results...  and it may affect other switches.
>
>      STP is primary used for connecting redundant switch configurations
>      and has little use on end-nodes.  The only Sun NIC adapter that
>      can utilize STP is Gigabit v1.1 with redundant NIC configuration
>     Several switch vendors have updates/fixes for old GbE modules.
>
>     Some folks run into basic solaris problems.
>     Fastest tests with say 4 x 336mhz  OR  4 x 300 mhz cpus.
>     Faster clockspeeds often result in faster network results.
>
>     Gigabit cannot increase cpu clockspeeds,
>     Gigabit under load may require multiprocessor configs,
> [...]

begin:vcard
n:Smiles;Mark
tel;work:+44 1344 29 6042
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:M&CT Microelectronics group;ME CIO Emea
version:2.1
email;internet:msmiles AT lucent DOT com
title:Unix Systems Manager
adr;quoted-printable:;;Kingswood,=0D=0AKings Ride;Ascot;Berkshire;SL%
8AD;United Kingdom
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Mark Smiles
end:vcard