Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's

2000-11-01 12:59:51
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's
From: Jonathan Geibel Jonathan.Geibel AT disney DOT com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:59:51 -0800
Eric,

If you look in your bptm logs it will display the exact MB/sec at the end
of every job..

you should also look in the bptm for these messages at the end of each
backup:

12:55:42 [4104] <2> write_data: waited for full buffer 0 times, delayed 0
times

this will tell you whether or not the tape drive is waiting on data from
the disk.  ie, if it says "waited for full buffer 20000 times" that would
indicate that there is a bottleneck on getting the data off of the disk.

If it states that it "delayed <a bunch of> times" that that would indicate
that your tape buffers are filling up and netbackup is having to delay
reading data off of disk because it is waiting on a free buffer.  Your
bottleneck is somewhere on the tape side, tweaking your tape buffers (see
below) should help this unless your SCSI interface is the bottleneck.

I would use sar or iostat while the backups are running to see whether or
not the disk's are running at 100% utilization.

I would also check the CPU's utilization as well to make sure they aren't
being taxed..  (using iostat or sar again)

If you can find that those are not the problem, then you may need to
increase the buffers going to your tape..  these can be set by creating
these two files, each with a single number as it's only content:

/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS is the size of each of the buffers writing to tape.
this is defaulted at 32k.  A decent number to change this to would be 64k
or something larger.  Note, that this will also change the block size of
the data written to tape.  Definitely test out your restores after you
make a change to this value to ensure that things still work..  The value
to place in the file is in bytes, so to set it at 64k you would place the
number 65536 in the file.

NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS is the number of these buffers to have for each
backup.  default is 8 (I think)..  you may want to increase this to 32 or
so.. I would increase it in small increments and watch to see if the
performance is increases at all.

NOTE:  that changing these values changes the amount of shared memory you
will be allocating for each backup.

if you have 32 buffers at 64k each, EVERY backup will use 2MB of memory
(64k*32).

Also, be sure that you are writing to your tapes with variable-length
writes when modifying the tape buffer size (on a sun solaris system, this
is set in your /kernel/drv/st.conf file)

Hope that helps,

Jon