Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's

2000-11-01 13:57:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup with 9840's
From: Rob Worman rob AT colltech DOT com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:57:04 -0700
At 11:38 AM -0500 11/1/00, Porter, Eric wrote:
>Does anyone have an suggestions for tuning netbackup.  Specifically, I would
>be very interested in any optimizations that may improve performance on SCSI
>attached 9840 tape drives in an STK L700.

Where is the data coming from as it's being written to these 9840's?

How many 9840's are you using for backups?

Where is your data coming from?  Is it local on this media server, is it on a
SAN, is it on one or more segments of your LAN, etc?

Are you configured to use Multiplexing?

with a 9840 drive (transfer rate of 10-20 MB/sec depending on compression AND
STREAMING) it would be real easy to 'underfeed' your drives and therefore
cripple your performance.

Turn on 6 of those drives and feed them data from your untuned gigabit
interface, and you'll probably be unhappy with what you get...

rob