Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Network load balancing

2000-10-16 17:15:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Network load balancing
From: Joshua Fielden jfielden AT excitecorp DOT com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:15:15 -0700
There is a GigE on each of our two media servers. One does 50k packets/sec
during the nighttime hours, the other does considerably less. Though it's
combined throughput is more like 25k packets/sec. That's a lot to push through
our routing core, even in off hours, if there is a better way. We could easily
have less FE interfaces and still absorb the throughput -- pipe to the server
is not the issue.
The key is to keep traffic on vlans, and therefore away from routing hops. Our
layer-2 mesh is underutilized, on purpose, for scalability. Some vlans are
combined to an interface, if there is a maximum of one router hop, and various
networking equipment parameters are observed, but only on 'low-traffic' VLANs.

With that said the true 'why do we do this?' is because the previous product we
used was designed to do this gracefully, and we could. Saves having to install
a backups VLAN, which we have to do now, at a non-trivial cost. My yearly
budget did not take into account putting a Cisco 5500 in each data center on
our campus. ;-) We have investigated VLAN tagging, which does not scale at this
size. Putting my amount of traffic through the routing mesh is also not an
acceptable solution in our environment. (as much political as technical, be
sure)

Ergo, I'm left with an inelegant solution which costs me money and other
products do. Therefore, a feature request. :)

JF

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:39:51PM -0700, Bob Bakh filled up my inbox with: