Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Conditional Expiration

2000-10-12 19:08:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Conditional Expiration
From: John_Wang AT enron DOT net John_Wang AT enron DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 18:08:21 -0500
Hello

Is it possible to structure conditional expirations?

ie.: Don't expire a full backup till at least another full backup (or two) has
been generated.  Expire the cumulatives when the underlying full backup has been
expired, expire the differential when the prior differential, cumulative or full
has been expired.

Time based expirations tend to not handle exceptions well ie.: if a full backup
gets preempted for some reason, the prior full backup will still time out.
Also time based expirations tend to result in leftovers that don't need to be
kept around ie.: when a full backup expires, the subsequent cumulatives and
differentials between that full backup and a more recent one is insufficient to
guarantee recovery of a filesystem state so you might as well not have them or
you may be setting unrealistic expectations.

I apologize if this is beyond the scope of the product but policy based
expiration was the basis of my old home grown backup scripts back in the early
90's several jobs ago and I don't like surprises just because a backup got
preempted.

Regards,
John I Wang
Sr. Systems Engineer