Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup FAQ: Updated Version

2000-10-07 17:02:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup FAQ: Updated Version
From: by way of "W. Curtis Preston" <curtis AT colltech DOT com> curtis AT host4.apollohosting DOT com
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 14:02:55 -0700
   This email contains the text version of the Veritas NetBackup FAQ.  There
   is also an HTML version available at:
   http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html

   (This text version of the FAQ is also available in one big file at:
   http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.txt.html)

   The text version of the FAQ is only mailed out if there have been changes.
   If you are interested in just the lines that have changed, there is a diff
   between this version and the last version at the end of the FAQ.
   (To go straight there, search for the word "DIFFERENCES.")

   The way I am creating the text version of the FAQ is by using lynx -dump
   on the URLs.  It seems to format it very nicely, including one very nice
   feature.  If you're reading the text, and see a number like this [5], it
   is a hyperlink to a URL.  If you'd like to see which URL it is, searh
   for the word references at the end of each section.  The number that
   matches the number in parentheses is the URL that the link points to.

   Remember that this FAQ is actually spread out across several URLs, so this
   text version of the FAQ reflects that.  Each section is separated by two
   lines with dashes, between which is the URL for the following section.

   http://www.backupcentral.com/netbackup-faq.html

              NetBackup Frequently Asked Questions: Version 0.20
                              Table of Contents

    [1]About this FAQ
           What is the purpose of this FAQ?  Who maintains it?  How can I
           get a copy?

    [2]Support
           How do I get help with my NetBackup installation?

    [3]Versioning
           What are the different versions, and how do I know which one I
           have?

    [4]Licensing
           How is this product licensed?

    [5]Terminology
           Just what do NetBackup folk mean when they say "XYZ?"

    [6]Education
           How can I learn more about NetBackup, and backup and recovery
           in general?

    [7]Configuration
           How do I configure NetBackup?

    [8]Runtime
           What does NetBackup behave like when it's running?

    [9]Integrity
           How do I maintain the integrity of my backups, and the backups
           of the database?

    [10]Logging
           Where are the logs, what do they do, and how can I get more of
           them?

    [11]Recovery
           How do you restore files with NetBackup?

    [12]Administrative Tasks
           What tasks must be done on a regular basis if you're
           administering NetBackup?

    [13]Location of Files
           Where are the important files for NetBackup, and what do they
           do?

    [14]User Backups and Restores
           How can users do their own backups and restores?