Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Sharing tape robots for DR/duplication between 2 separate NB instances?

2000-09-29 21:29:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Sharing tape robots for DR/duplication between 2 separate NB instances?
From: Bob Bakh bbakh AT veritas DOT com
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 18:29:32 -0700
The answer is yes.  The NetBackup product is really a packaging of two
products, that work well together but can be completely independant.

The NetBackup piece does the backups and storage units made of disk can be
used, so that there is no need for media management.

And the Media Manager has it's own CLI so you can script actions to it and
us it as a product onto it self.

Now that I have gone on about nothing in particular let's get down to the
nuts and bolts.

You would need to have connectivity to the robot (obvious)

The Volume database host would be one machine (pick a system any system, but
make sure you don't have multiple Volume Databases.)  To be totaly technical
about it, multiple volume databases is bad.

One machine would be the robot control host and all others would have drives
in the robot.

This is the same config as Master and media servers.  Just now it's master
and master servers.

I use this config in firewall situations.  By having two masters, one on
either side of a firewall, and the Volume database host and robotic control
being on the one inside the firewall.  You need only open 2 ports.  tldcd,
and vmd.  Thus making for tougher security.

Hope this helps,

if you need furter clarification, let me know.

Bob