Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup backing up netware servers? (fwd)

2000-09-21 13:03:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup backing up netware servers? (fwd)
From: Jonathan Geibel Jonathan.Geibel AT disney DOT com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:03:04 -0700
Hello all,

We are not backing up any netware, but we do backup quite a large volume
of data to a Sun server using Netbackup 3.2 (clients include SGI, Sun, Mac
and NT).

We backup around 12TB of data (fulls) every week..  every day we backup
just the incrementals which totals to about 470GB of new data per day.

We've restored 1/2 TB volumes in less than 9 hours, but expect to start
restoring these volumes in just a few hours with multiple-streams running.

For our network, we are using HIPPI and ATM (OC3/OC12)

Our fastest tape library runs 4 12MB/sec tape drives (so about 48MB/sec
total speed for the library)

We have other DLT libraries with 8-12 drives running at 6MB/sec

In order to run backups and restores at optimal speeds we have had to tune
both netbackup and the systems quite extensively..  mostly tuning
network/netbackup buffer parameters and modifying the TCP/IP stack
parameters on both the clients and the servers helped the most.  Our goal
is simply to consistently backup data at the speed of tape without
degradation..

Jon

Walt Disney Feature Animation      The Secret Lab
Senior Systems Engineer              818.526.3051