Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN media servers, SSO

2000-08-11 14:56:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN media servers, SSO
From: Andrew Steingruebl steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:56:23 -0500
parker AT bctm DOT com said:

>The concern is actually not the SAN media server  (that DOES use it's
>"local" drives when they're available), but instead the NON-media server
>clients. I simply did not want them using a SAN media server as a
>server.
>
>Anyway, through trial & error, it seems that they'll do "the right
>thing". If the client's classes are set up to use 'Any_available'
>storage unit, and if the storage units are NOT set to 'on demand', the
>clients will not attempt to write through the SAN media server.

I'm confused as to why this does/should work?
If we don't set the storage unit to demand only, then any client should be
able to use it to back up, shouldn't it?   I understand making a SAN media
server use its own local drives first, thats done using the
MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE option. I can't figure out though how these
servers/storage units get excluded from acting as normal netbackup servers.

--
Andy Steingruebl              | e-mail: steingra AT pprd.abbott DOT com

Unix Systems Admin/Programmer | phone:  (847) 935-4728
Unix/Network Security         | fax:    (847) 935-0142
Abbott Laboratories, PPDR&D   | post:   100 Abbott Park Road, D472 - AP9A