Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery with duplicates?

2000-08-07 09:57:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery with duplicates?
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 08:57:14 -0500 (CDT)
Ryan:

yes, it is advisable that you send along a NBU database
tape with your offsite volumes.  It makes recovery much
easier with your database in place.  Not to mention all
of your history is contained in those dbs, should the
building and its contents be destroyed, so would the
history.  I always send a NBU DB tape offsite with the
dup-set.

by using the -tpath option with bpbackupdb you can
direct it to a specific mounted media.  Here's how I
would do it in a script.
.
.
.
DBPATH="/usr/openv/netbackup/db \
/usr/openv/volmgr/database"
tpreq -rv A00000 -d dlt -p NetBackup -f /tmp/a00000
bpbackupdb -v -tpath /tmp/a00000 $DBPATH
tpunmount /tmp/a00000
.
.
.
David

David A. Chapa                847 413 1144 p
Director of Technology        847 413 1168 f
DataStaff, Inc.               http://www.datastaff.com
nbu-lserv AT datastaff DOT com       majordomo AT datastaff DOT com

Quoting "RYAN C. ANDERSON" <ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com>:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a better way to do disaster recovery
planning with
> duplicates.  As it is, we send duplicates of all our
fulls off-site and
> keep the originals on site on a shelf.  To aid in the
event our building
> got blew up or otherwise destroyed, a procedure was
started (and
> continues) where the operator, via a script, runs
an 'Images on Media'
> report which is then copied to a floppy and sent
along with with the
> duplicate tapes.  This is so that in a disaster
recovery situation the
> contents of what is on the tapes can more easily
identified and switched
> over to the proper media id.  Now, this procedure was
well-intentioned
> when it was set up, but I'm wondering if its the best
way to go.  Now,
> to anyone who has experience or good ideas on this,
my question is:

> Isn't a better solution to make a good copy of the
NetBackup database to
> go off-site regularly so that duplicate information
(along with
> everything else) is there in an emergency?
>

> >From off of the database there you can do a Media on
Images report.  The
> floppy seems redundant if the NBU database is safe
and intact.  I'm
> somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I need to change
procedures so that
> the NBU database is copied and sent off site
regularly.  Which leads to
> my second question:
>

> What is a good procedure to copy this database to go
off-site?  Or is it
> better to rotate out the ones that run in there
weekly?