Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery with duplicates?

2000-08-04 14:15:56
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disaster recovery with duplicates?
From: RYAN C. ANDERSON ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:15:56 -0500
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to do disaster recovery planning with
duplicates.  As it is, we send duplicates of all our fulls off-site and
keep the originals on site on a shelf.  To aid in the event our building
got blew up or otherwise destroyed, a procedure was started (and
continues) where the operator, via a script, runs an 'Images on Media'
report which is then copied to a floppy and sent along with with the
duplicate tapes.  This is so that in a disaster recovery situation the
contents of what is on the tapes can more easily identified and switched
over to the proper media id.  Now, this procedure was well-intentioned
when it was set up, but I'm wondering if its the best way to go.  Now,
to anyone who has experience or good ideas on this, my question is:

Isn't a better solution to make a good copy of the NetBackup database to
go off-site regularly so that duplicate information (along with
everything else) is there in an emergency?

>From off of the database there you can do a Media on Images report.  The
floppy seems redundant if the NBU database is safe and intact.  I'm
somewhat ashamed to admit it, but I need to change procedures so that
the NBU database is copied and sent off site regularly.  Which leads to
my second question:

What is a good procedure to copy this database to go off-site?  Or is it
better to rotate out the ones that run in there weekly?

Regards,

Ryan
Ryan C. Anderson           United Defense L.P.
UNIX Administrator         http://www.udlp.com/
(desk) 763.572.6684        (pager) 612.235.9936
ryan_anderson AT udlp DOT com     Mail stop M313