Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAN media servers, SSO

2000-08-03 18:18:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAN media servers, SSO
From: parker AT bctm DOT com parker AT bctm DOT com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, all,

> It would seem that if he uses "MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE," he could select "Any
> Available," and it would select any available LOCAL storage unit.

Thanks for the suggestions...

The concern is actually not the SAN media server  (that DOES use it's
"local" drives when they're available), but instead the NON-media server
clients. I simply did not want them using a SAN media server as a
server.

Anyway, through trial & error, it seems that they'll do "the right
thing". If the client's classes are set up to use 'Any_available'
storage unit, and if the storage units are NOT set to 'on demand', the
clients will not attempt to write through the SAN media server.

An initial test we'd made made me think the clients would use the SAN
media server, but the test appears to have been invalid. We had set up
all storage units to be 'on demand' EXCEPT for the one attached to the
SAN media server. The client class was set to 'Any_available'. The
client DID back up through the SAN media server in this case. However,
it seems NetBackup was simply smart (dumb?) enough to realize that the
storage unit on the SAN media server was the only possible one the
client could write to, so it used that. If there's other storage units
that would permit the class EVEN IF ALL AVAILABLE STREAMS ARE USED, the
client will not use the SAN media server, but will wait for a drive to
free up.

Whew...

Thanks again - this is a steep learning curve... and I'm trying to fix
(yet AGAIN) index corruption in my Legato Networker installation as I
go, so I'm not dedicating all my time to this!

Cheers,

Ross
--
Ross Parker            |      UNIX Sys Admin, Perl and C,
Systems/Network Admin  |        Networking and security
                       |      Lisp has all the visual appeal of oatmeal
parker AT bctm DOT com        |   with fingernail clippings mixed in (Larry
Wall)