Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] pre- post- backup commands?

2000-07-19 21:39:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] pre- post- backup commands?
From: Pat Whelan pwhelan AT veritas DOT com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 18:39:28 -0700
If you create a file in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin named bpstart_notify, it
will be executed before the backing up of the data starts. A file named
bpend_notify will run after the data has been buffered to be written to
tape,

There are two caveats:
1)      The list of mount points to be backed will have already been
determined before bpstart_notify is called, so keep that in mind. You can
specify the mount point in the files section of the class definition (as
opposed to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES), in which case you shouldn't have a problem.
2)      If you call the file bpstart_notify than all backups running on that
client will call the script. To avoid this, specify bpstart_notify.classname
if you want the script to only run for certain schedules then,
bpstart_notify.classname.schedulename. (This applies to bpend_notify as
well). An example of bpstart_notify and bpend_notify can be found in
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies directory, and they are discused in the
Systems Administrators Guide as well.

Good Luck,
Patrick Whelan
Consulting
[NBU (with extensions) and Storage Migrator for UNIX]
[VxFS and Volume Manager]
pwhelan AT veritas DOT com

"Of course this is just my opinion, I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller
"Friends help friends move, good friends help move bodies" - Unknown.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest" -
Mark Twain