Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Retention Values: Database Extension

2000-07-17 16:36:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Retention Values: Database Extension
From: George Roper backup_user AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:36:01 GMT
When configuring a Database Extension NetBackup requires that a Backup
Policy be created for the Class. The Backup Policy requires a Retionsion
Policy to be set but no Frequency.

Each of the Automatic backups configured within the class not only have a
Retention Policy but also require a Frequency value.

The System Administrator Guide on Database extentions is not particularly
clear on what values need to be set and I am unclear what values NetBackup
uses for it's frequency/retention policies. Can I have some answers please:-

  o What Retention policy gets assigned to a Class backup
    - the value set under Backup-Policy?
    - the value set under the Automatic-Policy?
  o Is it possible to create a single class which has multiple
    Retention policies determined by which schedule is run?
  o Can anyone provide an overview of how the Backup Policy Retention
Value is used by NetBackup?

Thanks,

George