Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Help with NT client returning 11 error!

2000-07-12 14:40:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Help with NT client returning 11 error!
From: Todd Stansell todd AT gnac DOT com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:40:23 -0700
Take a look at the Netbackup Troubleshooting Guide, if you haven't
already.  It explains that error 11 is the catch-all for anything that
doesn't return a known error code.  So, there are a lot of things that
it could be...running out of Virtual Memory, filesystems being full,
semaphore problems, shared memory problems.  The one cause that it
mentions that seemed interesting is for NT clients using Open Transaction
Manager (OTM) for open file management.  It is possible for the OTM
cache file being full to cause an error 11.  You can verify this by
looking at the bpbkar logs on the NT client and searching for lines like:

04/28/99 11:27:56 AM: [216]: ERR - OTM Error:0xe0001005
04/28/99 11:27:59 AM: [216]: INF - OTM Terminate - disabled for all processes
04/28/99 11:27:59 AM: [216]: FTL - Backup operation aborted!

If you still haven't found anything...

The first step is to make sure you're logging as much as possible so
you can track down the problem.

First, put 'VERBOSE = 9' in your bp.conf on your client and server.

Second, make the following directories:
    server: /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/{bpbrm,bpcd,bpdbm,bprd,bptm}
    PC client: C:\VERITAS\NetBackup\Logs\{bpinetd,bpbkar,bpcd,bpmount,tar}
    Unix client: /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/{bpbkar,bpcd,tar}

Then, when you run your backup and it fails, you should be able to
trace which process is the one that actually failed.  Most of the time,
it seems to be that one process will fail, and return an error code to
it's parent process, and going through about 3 or 4 process before it
gets to the activity logs.

Depending on how many files you are backing up, one suggestion I'd make
is to make sure you have the latest Jumbo Patch.  It includes a bugfix
for the issue where NetBackup can't create .f files greater than 2GB.
I belive two Jumbo Patches ago is when the fix was finally incorportated.
This would be on the server.

Other than that, I'd say dive into all of the logs and go from there.
Sometimes it takes a lot of digging, but the logs can be rather verbose,
so you should be able to find the problem.

Oh, and make sure you have enough space for the logs...they can get
rather big.

Good luck.

Todd