Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Default volume pools.

2000-05-26 08:25:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Default volume pools.
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:25:25 -0500 (CDT)
Keeping it simple is the name of the game.  NetBackup
volume pool is created by default.  Unless you have a
compelling reason to create and employ multiple volume
pools, let your backups go to your NetBackup volume
pool.

<<Do not try to over administer an automated system>>

By default NBU will not mix retention levels to tape
(in other words your incrm backups which you retain for
7 days will not be co-located with your full backups
that you keep for 3 months.).  It sounds like your
configuration is just fine.

As far as the NB_duplicate pool, this is used by
NetBackup for duplication.  If you use the motif
interface (xbpadm), under the menu item IMAGES  you
will see Duplicate.  When you duplicate images through
this way, Netbackup will by default use the
nb_duplicate.  You may however use any other pool you'd
like if you use the CLI tool, bpduplicate.  Perhaps you
have a cron job doing duplication?

-David

Quoting Arthur Darren Dunham <add AT netcom DOT com>:

> I was looking over my volume pools and was wondering
about the
> following.  Right now all backups go to the NETBACKUP
pool.

> 1) The two defined backup volumes are also in the
NETBACKUP pool.  I
> found that strange.  Is this correct?  Should it be
changed?

> 2) I have four other volumes in a "db_duplicate"
pool.  As far as I can
> tell, they aren't used.  Is this pool used by
Netbackup, or did we
> create it at some point in the past?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Darren
Dunham
ddunham AT taos DOT com
> Unix System Administrator                    Taos -
The SysAdmin Company
> Got some Dr
Pepper?                                      Santa
Clara, CA
>       < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,
please disperse >