Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Lots of files: Backup Performance

2000-05-16 07:50:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Lots of files: Backup Performance
From: George Roper backup_user AT hotmail DOT com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 11:50:41 GMT
How does NBU perform when asked to backup a lot of small files within the
same filesystem?

I have need to backup 1,600,000 files averaging 2-3k each - total of 30GB of
data. My backup to a single DLT7000 tape unit currently takes ~50 hours.

Theorectically if the system were able to drive the DLT at 5MB/s this should
take 100 minutes. NBU obviously has lots of overhead when recording to the
Files Database each of these 1,600,000 files. Also the backup process must
slow when walking the directory to determine what file to backup next.

Before I start tuning this environment I would like to know what is a
reasonable backup window to expect.

Anyone any experience or observations?

George