Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] An easier/faster way to erase a NB DLT ?

2000-05-10 15:55:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] An easier/faster way to erase a NB DLT ?
From: Dayne Medlyn dayne_medlyn AT agilent DOT com
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:55:20 -0600
One thing we have done to just check to see if a tape is writable is
write the UX kernel to the tape:

cat /stand/vmunix > /dev/rmt/0

Takes just a minute or two and it should destroy the data on the front
of the tape so it is no longer recognized as a NetBackup tape.  COMPLETE
deletion would require writing the entire tape, which would take hours.