Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] An easier/faster way to erase a NB DLT ?

2000-05-10 15:26:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] An easier/faster way to erase a NB DLT ?
From: Norm Szcyrek nszcyrek AT iocenter DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 15:26:38 -0400
I would like to recycle a previously used DLT, but assign it a new Media
ID. The problem is, MM still sees the RVSN and/or EVSN that was
originally assigned to it, and I have a theory that this causes
confusion within the MM database. Can anyone suggest an easy/quick way
to fully erase a tape, or at least erase the two NB derived IDs
[RVSN,EVSN]?  I've tried the old standy of

mt -f /dev/rmt/0 erase

but it took several hours to complete. If there's no better way of doing
it within or without of NB, then I will have the means to justify to my
manager, the purchase of a bulk eraser [if they actually work on
DLT's].
--
virtually,

Norman Szcyrek