Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] re-using HSM tapes in NBU

2000-05-08 12:57:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] re-using HSM tapes in NBU
From: David A. Chapa david AT datastaff DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:57:21 -0500 (CDT)
Is your friend using Barcode rules?  This may be why it
automatically assigns the tape back to an HSM pool.

Quoting Todd Stansell <todd AT gnac DOT com>:

> I have a co-worker who I've been helping try to
figure out how to re-use
> tapes that have neen used by HSM, which are now
expired or freed in some
> way, and initialize them for use in NBU.  The problem
seems to be that
> once NBU sees the tape, it recognizes that tape as
being associated with
> HSM in some way and either freezes the tape, or marks
it as part of the
> HSM pool (in some way it's unusable).
>
> The tape can be manually removed from the HSM pool,
the tape header can
> be erased, and when it is then added back to NBU, it
still gets assigned
> back to the HSM tape pool or is other wise unusable
(I'm not exactly
> sure of the behavior).  From what he says, it does it
so quickly that
> it doesn't even have time to load any of the tapes,
so the chance of it
> actually reading the tape is pretty minimal.
>
> So, we were wondering if anyone has dealt with this
kind of thing and
> if there is some special way of disassociating a tape
with HSM so that
> it can be used within NBU again for regular backups.
I seem to remember
> hearing or seeing that there was something special
that needed to be