Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] re-using HSM tapes in NBU

2000-05-08 12:32:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] re-using HSM tapes in NBU
From: Todd Stansell todd AT gnac DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 09:32:26 -0700
I have a co-worker who I've been helping try to figure out how to re-use
tapes that have neen used by HSM, which are now expired or freed in some
way, and initialize them for use in NBU.  The problem seems to be that
once NBU sees the tape, it recognizes that tape as being associated with
HSM in some way and either freezes the tape, or marks it as part of the
HSM pool (in some way it's unusable).

The tape can be manually removed from the HSM pool, the tape header can
be erased, and when it is then added back to NBU, it still gets assigned
back to the HSM tape pool or is other wise unusable (I'm not exactly
sure of the behavior).  From what he says, it does it so quickly that
it doesn't even have time to load any of the tapes, so the chance of it
actually reading the tape is pretty minimal.

So, we were wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of thing and
if there is some special way of disassociating a tape with HSM so that
it can be used within NBU again for regular backups.  I seem to remember
hearing or seeing that there was something special that needed to be
done, but haven't found or remembered it...

NBU 3.2, HSM 3.2, Solaris 2.5.1.

Thanks.

Todd